Thursday, November 13, 2008

Confused about your Job, Purpose, etc?

Today I came across a random blog posted by a friend and a part of me felt compelled to answer. I like to share this because you never know if you can take something from it for you. Enjoy (Its long, so have fun)

_________________________________________________________

Her Blog:
I have 3 different job possibilities right now, and I have to make a decision rather quickly. I have already taken up too much time, doing a little here, a little there,, and getting nowhere in the long run. At 25 years old, I should already be in my career. So yeah, I finished my Bachelors at FIU last December with Liberal Arts and Psychology. None of those things have helped me find a great job that I love right now. Everyone wants EXPERIENCE of some kind. Below I will list the 3 possibilities that I have to choose from and their pro's and con's. If you have anything to add or suggest, PLEASE DO SO!! I welcome comments!

____________________________________________________
My answer:

Hi Teresa,

I came across your note on Facebook regarding your job options and wanted to share some thoughts with you that arose within me as I read your situation.

First of all the thought "I should be farther along in my career" is a very dangerous, untrue assumption. All "shoulds" come from a place of opposition to what IS. What IS, IS. There is no point in feeling inadequate or unaccomplished because you have not reached this Illusion of what you or some else thinks you "should" have done by now. This feeling comes when you start comparing yourself to others. You think "Well so-and-so already graduated and has such-and-such job, and I don’t, so that means I'm not good enough". We both know this is NOT TRUE.

So I ask you, first remove that thought from your thinking. Imagine that there were never any rules, standards or usual paths that people take in their lives. Imagine if you could live life day by day, without feeling you need to do something to be considered accomplished. Well in actuality, this is REALITY. You have ju st created the story of “SHOULD” So take that all away with a Big Jumbo Size eraser! Really go there in your mind. Experience the Freedom of no Expectations to Live up To. Feel how liberating it is! Got it? See how much better it feels? No bad feelings! Cool huh?

So now that we have established that where you are RIGHT NOW is perfect and necessary, we can move on to your True Desires.
Second of all, any decisions you make in your life should be what TERESA wants, not what your parents or friends think you "should" do. You can apprecaite their advice, but ultimately YOU must decide your path, because only YOU know what you TRULY want.

Which brings me to my next subject: Many people our age have not figured out what they want to do with their life and Guess What? THAT’S OK! We can only see this vision for ourselves when we stop with the stories and LOOK INSIDE. Most people never dare to do this so they live unhappy their entire lives in a job they hate, because they spent their whole lives trying to make others happy and impress them.

So I have a little exercise for you (and don’t worry, you wont even break a sweat). Sit in your room, close your eyes, and just act yourself “What do I want?” Not, “What Should I do?”, “What will make my parents happy?”, “Which job is more glamorous?” All of these are unimportant and will leave you dissatisfied when you stay untrue to yourself. Just act yourself “What do I want?” Remember your job will not bring happiness, just as a man or money won’t either. Happiness is found within yourself. A job simply allows you to use your given talents and abilities to bring more satisfaction to your self and others. “How do I feel I can best be of service to others and make money at the same time?” Your heart and soul will answer you, when you know you are right, your body will respond, you will feel tingles, you will smile, and you will feel Right. That is YOUR INTUITION, YOUR TRUE SELF. LISTEN TO HER. SHE IS TRYING TO TELL YOU SOMETHING. However, usually our mind is so busy that we cant hear our TRUE SELVES.

From my observation, it looks like you already know what you want to do and that is be in the entertainment industry. In this regard, I can relate to you. I went to UM and have my Bachelors in Psychology & Criminology and when I graduated, I found myself wanting to dance, which progressed to modeling, TV hosting, and acting in commercials. Now I am entering production and writing. I tell you this because my parents thought I was crazy to do something so “unsure” when I had a degree that could give me “a good with good money” Well guess what? Money does NOT BRING HAPPINESS and I’m not looking for a “cookie cutter life” with a big house with a white=2 0picket fence, a hot, intelligent husband, 2 All-Star Kids and I dog named “Champ”. Not to mention the job other people thought I “should” have. A job that is considered “respectable and admirable” is not what I felt my talents were for that period of my life. I wanted to express myself, to be Free… and that is what I happily did, With no regrets, not caring what others thought I “should” have done. I won’t lie, “Sometimes my ego would say “Marisol, you are so much smarter and educated than all these women here, why don’t you just go and get a good job?” but something inside of me knew I was blessed, I am special, I have these talents and personality for a bigger reason, and all of the pieces to this puzzle will soon come together.

As I grew in realization, I discovered that it was not the aspect of being “a star” that lured me into entertainment, but the ability to “capture people’s attention and change their lives, even if for a brief moment”. However, I found the messages I sought to share with the world also changed. I no longer found value in fame, money, clothes, and the impermanent, but rather in that which is always HERE if we let it in, LOVE, PEACE, GRATITUDE, HAPPINESS.

The reason I share this story is to help you ask yourself, “Why do I want this?”, “What do I hope to attain with this particular career path?” You may find that: That which you are seeking through a job or career, is already HERE inside of you. No job title will make you who you already are and that my love is Pure Love and Light.

So listen to that voice inside and follow it. Choose your own Destiny. You already know, you only need to listen….

In Love & Light,
Marisol

No comments: